What is the Motili Community Group, how did it come to be, and what does it do?
The Motili Community Group brings various activities forward that will help our communities and each other. Each quarter we do a variety of events outlined in the following categories:
- An outreach event involving the greater local communities of Motili
- An event involving Motili employees getting to know one another
- An event involving Motili employees as well as their families
What are some of the events your group has put on?
- This past winter we did a Marine Toys for Tots event – a toy donations drive for children.
- Also this winter we raised money for Denver Food Rescue, which is a local organization that brings healthier food options to people in need. “Denver Food Rescue (DFR) uses the sustainable method of bicycle power and an amazing volunteer crew to save good produce from grocery stores, farmers markets, and distributors that would otherwise be thrown away.”
- In the spring we held a benefit for one of our Motili co-workers who was battling cancer. The funds helped for his medical bills and other necessities. There was a pasta dinner benefit dinner and a GoFundMe page was also set up.
- Another donation drive was for Robbie’s Pantry for the Southern Tier AIDS Program. This program provides supportive services to HIV+ persons and state of the art prevention education. Team members brought in a variety of donations such as paper towels, bar soap, toothpaste, chapstick, etc.
- Other events that we put on for our employees included a block party, managers cooked breakfast for their teams, potlucks and a meet and greet social gathering.
Are there any highlights for you from any of the recent events?
It’s been great to see our teams come together to support our community. It’s bringing us closer together as we do good for others. Outside of outreach, it’s been great to see teams that don’t always work together bond and get to know one another at our team social events.
What have you seen work well so far?
The outreach opportunities have really been a hit so far! People are really enjoying coming together to help others. The outreach events seem to be the most popular so far. We constantly have people coming up with new suggestions to help out our community.
What are some of the challenges of putting on events or getting people engaged?
It’s been difficult, on occasion, to get employees away from their desks. I think it just shows what hard workers we have here at Motili but we try to encourage our peers to step away from their computers and enjoy getting to know their co-workers in an informal setting.
What are some events you’re working on?
Just this week we held an outreach event for Denver was with Urban Peak. A team of employees from Motili cooked meals for youth ages 15 through 24 experiencing homelessness or at imminent risk of becoming homeless in Denver.
On the other side of the country our Binghamton, NY office is putting together an event that is supporting an animal sanctuary where they take in battered and sick animals (Willow’s Animal Sanctuary & Rescue).
Also, all Motili locations are working together on initiatives for a stress-free summer. Coming up in Denver we have a company picnic for a social event.
How can more people get involved with what you’re doing or just get more involved in community service?
The best way to get involved, if you are not on the community team, is to engage in the activities we offer. It’s a great way to get to know your co-workers.
Also, we love bringing all ideas to the table so if you have an idea please don’t hesitate to tell someone on the community team and we will bring it to the drawing board in our next meeting!